Thursday 12 March 2009

you and whose origami?

Spring continues apace, and I saw celandines in flower yesterday. There is a blackbird singing even now on K's bedroom windowsill, where it is accustomed to perch. If you're careful, you can tweak the curtains apart and watch it, inches away.

Eventually I suppose I'll have to ditch the arrangement of last year's poppies and dried flowers from the kitchen, but it does look nice, and is extremely low-maintenance. K added some origami cranes, which go rather well.

I like origami, and used to do a lot of it. It is also a useful way of spending time in exams when you've run out of things to write, I have found, which is perhaps gives you some idea of my degree of academic attainment.

One thing I didn't do much of was the stuff in this book, Kokigami. It contains figures which are supposed to adorn penises, such as this squid:



...the book was a Christmas present from someone to whom I am sort-of-related, a few years back. She expressed a hope that I would be broad-minded about it.

My then partner and I looked at the book with incredulity, and ....burned it. Never mind what Heinrich Heine said, sometimes you've just got to burn something.

3 comments:

  1. I remember you writing about the Kokigami before. What strange relatives you have.

    We have blossom, especially the fruit trees across the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O lord, I did, didn't I? -I sometimes worry about my memory.

    Blossom is happening here too, as I saw yesterday. I most like the dawn chorus, though, as I'm up so early and hear it from the beginning

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed that I remembered it! I just go with the flow as regards memory nowadays. It annoys everyone else though.

    I love that moment at the beginning of the day when all the birds 'start up'. There was a lovely moon this morning when I opened the shutters at the back of the house. Still very cold, but spring is in the air.

    ReplyDelete