Saturday 1 August 2009

all hands to the pump


In which we learn, yet again, that sometimes you can get fixed on the wrong answer to a problem.

We've been flogging off our surplus tents on ebay, and buying kayaks, as Katie is now of an age to ardently want to paddle her own canoe. So Thursday had us trundling up the motorway to Gloucester to pick one up.

I'd changed the car's HT ignition coil the day before; but as we got near Gloucester, the engine started dying on us, and then picking up again. So we would swing in to the hard shoulder and wait for it to recover again, and so continued in fits and starts.

We got the canoe and tried it out on a stretch of the Stroudwater canal. It was dense with jenny-green-teeth, and ponged of sulphur dioxide. Which is odd, because although Stroud was one of the places where the industrial revolution started, the dark satanic mills have been adapted to more modern purposes than turning waterways into the foul-smelling, foamy sewers that they used to be when I were young.

We passed a moorhens' nest, right in the middle of the canal, rising neatly out of the green carpet like a citadel in the middle of an endless plain. Except that it had lots of little moorhens sitting on top.

As we continued in fits and starts along the A38 towards Bristol (I thought it would be a safer option than the motorway) I listened for the fuel pump, and indeed noticed that it would occasionally cut in with a frenzy of clicking.

I got the jack handle from the back of the car and gave it to Katie. "When the car slows down again, I want you to hit the bulkhead under the glove compartment," I said.

We went on. The engine faltered. "Hit it now!" I said, a little sharply.

She did.

The engine picked up straight away.

"There was no need to shout," said Katie in a Very Huffy tone.


And so we got home. And I took out the fuel pump, and took it to pieces, after reading up in the manual and even watching a Youtube video of How To Do It. You can get everything on the internet, apparently.









The points looked like this. There's a horrible ridge on the upper one.




This is what they looked like after I'd cleaned them up, with lots of whetstoning and emery papering. They probably could do with being replaced, but I needed the car working in a hurry.



Putting it back together...

And then I switched on the ignition and the pump chattered away furiously for ages.

And ages.

And eventually I primed it by sticking a hose on the pump's outlet orifice, and sucking furiously.

I got a mouthful of petrol. I gargled with mineral water, gobbing it promiscuously out onto the road; then I had a cup of tea, then a bottle of beer, by which time the mouth was starting to feel like we could still be friends.

And the pump was working fine.


18 comments:

  1. Are you still alive? I presume you don't smoke.

    I love the colours in the top picture.

    I've looked at some of the helpful youtube videos. They make it look so easy - I know it isn't because I remember my dad cursing and swearing everytime he did repairs around the house

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love vehicles you can actually fix yuorself?

    hugs,
    chrissie
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can remember the days when I could do things like adjust the points, or the tappets or the valve timings or something. One time I took the radiator of my Allegro out in a car park, bought a new one, and fitted it right there.

    Not now though. Now I sit inside looking at my Golf on the road outside after it has emptied its coolant all over the road on a day I am going away for the weekend. I have called the oily bloke from the Very Cheap AA that I now slightly regret joining in February to save money. He seemed to suggest that my Super Premium Dogs Bollocks Ultra Gold Platinum Cover from Grease Monkey Recovery doesn't actually cover me for anything much at all. He started sucking his teeth before he'd got my membership number.

    So here I sit, waiting for a bloke which the 'recovery service' thinks "we might have around there" (he was calling from FRANCE!?), and reading posts like this, green with envy of your prowess.

    You're not free are you Dru? ;-) You might get here faster, actually!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bugger. Radiator knackered. Seems like I broke a tappetty thing off the bottom on some grass verge or something :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. My God...having just spoken to you I realise now that you didn't use some kind of green editing software filter thing on that picture and that IS what Katie was kayaking in! Oh Lord! (I promise to stop using your blog as a personal forum now!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy reading about your car! :-)

    Did you check the fuel filter? (Does it have a fuel filter?) That can also cause that sudden-wheezy feeling...

    You might also want to check the fuel line for degradation. Sometimes the old materials either harden, or start flaking. Oftentimes both. (On older vehicles, I also try and check the inside of the gas tank. That's never an easy task, though...)

    Ah, I need an older car to work on. A Lamborghini Countach, perhaps? :-)

    Nice work on those contacts!
    Carolyn Ann

    PS In the dim recesses of my noggin', I have the distinct memory of being told to check anything to do with the vacuum. Something about the seal around the air filter, and the hose that comes from the carburetor. I've probably got it wrong, but I seem to remember something about that being a weak spot, and it supposedly looks like a fuel supply problem. (Well, it is, in a roundabout way...) /CA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arrr! Tappets and points, what memories.

    Jo driving an Allegro, she must be telling porkies surly, just can't picture it.

    Caroline XX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe it is time to change the car? Then, I changed a problem car that gave me grief to one that is well, what can I say, anonymous - it barely asserts its presence - it performs dutifully in the background of my life. No, don't change your car - it is almost poetic reading about it - Dru/Trav - Trav/Dru - goes together - it adds a certain dimension to your always interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie looks like she's paddling through green sand or over a monstrous polar bear skin...belonging to Jenny Greenteeth. Good sign, that moorhen's nest. Nice photos of what I would otherwise never see! I remember the taste of siphoning gasoline (petrol) in my teens, probably because I still invariably get it on my hands when filling a mower tank.

    Ah, that bottle of beer....ah, ale!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always find the first time I do a job really stressful, Anji; especially when a load of rollers fell out from the back of the diaphragm when I screwed it off the pump body... now I know what to do, it'll be easy next time. If there is a next time of course.

    I do, Chrissie!

    Keep posting, Jo! The duckweed was really striking. And it got absolutely everywhere. Yurk. Do you feel nostalgic for the Allegro? -is it possible to be nostalgic for an Allegro?

    The fuel line and filter were pretty clear, Carolyn Ann; and the line is as airtight as I can get it, with a little judicious ptfe tape on the joints. The pump just needed priming, even though it seems theoretically capable of self-priming.

    Tappets are the next on the list, Caroline. Routine maintenance this time.

    Change the car, Neil? -horrors! The more that happens to it, the better I get to know it. It's a good and fairly empowering feeling.

    There's a story behind Jenny Greenteeth, Larry. In my childhood in Lancashire, we called duckweed Johnny Greenteeth. It was only relatively recently that I learned about the monster who lived under it. So if it was a story intended to scare children away from deep water, it evidently failed. It was strangely compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very little nostalgia for the Allegro Dru, though it was my first car. Highlights included endlessly cracking eggs into the radiator to try and stop the leaks, breaking down in the Blackwall Tunnel, losing the entire dashboard and fascia when a scrote decided to steal my radio/cassette (he basically tore out pretty much the entire central console), a constant problem with CV joints, a leaking cylinder head, and mechanic who attached a wheel with a bent nail rather than a split pin meaning it nearly flew off at speed on the M1. Eventually, I left it outside my house for a winter hoping it would go away. It didn't...it simply fossilised and eventually I had to pay a scrap yard £30 to tow it away.

    Happy Days ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those halcyon days of British motoring. The memories are flooding back, the anxiety every time you tried to start a car, would it have reduced itself to a heap of rust over a weekend, the memories go on... I feel in need of a therapist.

    Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, the Austin All Aggro.

    A sad little English car...

    Bloody fuel pump's just gone on my Micra.

    I see the Micra as the "next generation" Morris Minor as regards character and typical owner.

    But I'll bet the fuel pump is a cow to get to; everything else on the car is, including every day stuff like the bulbs and the coolant expansion tank cap.

    Damn, damn and blast it.

    love
    chrissie
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with the Moggy/Micra comparison, Chrissie; I had thought vagueky of getting one, but it would have been too small for the stuff I usually lug around. From the sound of your fuel pump, I think I made the right chouce. For me, anyway.

    Funny how our early cars are memorable, Jo. Though my first car was a Moggy van, and while we had loads of adventures, it never had any mechanical problems, until it fell to pieces, anyway. The car I had when I came to Bristol had some fuel delivery problem and I had to reverse it up the steepest hills...

    We all need a little quantum of edginess in our lives, don't we, Caroline? ...no, I didn't convince myself either (reaches for St John's Wort and Rescue Remedy)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mine was an Austin A40 AOK104B. I'm a hopeless driver, the AOK part made people smirk.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I once had an Allegro - many years ago - it was a 'company car' so I had no responsibility for any problems - and there were a few - strange car - like driving on jelly. Much as I like reading and commenting on this blog, I cannot offer any solutions to mechanical problems on cars - driving yes - fixing no. Note: my first car was a mini.

    ReplyDelete
  17. we had a small family fleet of Minis, Neil; my father's sporty 1275 GT with go-faster stripes, a Clubman estate, and a battleship-grey van which we took the lambs to market with a short while before father drove me to Portsmouth to start my studenting; all my stuff smelled of sheep for weeks, it was quite homely...

    ReplyDelete