Tuesday 28 May 2013

a return


the return, originally uploaded by Dru Marland.
I'm still experimenting with portraying night scenes; this is my latest, another picture for the project with Geraldine Taylor. As I've also realised, painting watercolour unsupported by ink outlines takes much more time than when you do ink first. And it takes ages for the picture to start to look like what I want it to look like, rather than a collection of rather pale blobs.

Most of the pic was done in W&N watercolour; Rowney's sepia (one of my faves) is limited to the carriage. The vegetation in the foreground is gouache, a mix of indigo and leaf green; and the effect of light from the carriage wad done by leaving the area around it relatively untouched (though I still had to dab off some green with damp cotton wool) and then washing over it with Sennelier yellow ink. And the fur of the animals was done with inks (white, brown, grey, and red) and dip pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment