Wednesday 25 June 2008

dégonflage

I was sitting quietly at my desk yesterday morning when there was a roaring from outside. I reasoned that it was either a dragon hovering over Westbury Park and breathing gouts of fire down on the carefully-tended back gardens (easily outclassing the rather expensive barbecue of our Very Aspirational Neighbour), or a balloon flying over.

It was the latter, of course. I scurried up onto the roof and waved as they went by, then pursued them on the bicycle, cutting easily through the morning gridlock that always happens at the end of my road.

They came down next to the White Tree roundabout.


I like the word gonflage. It sounds like it should have something to do with the Montgolfiers.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with the way gonflage and Montgolfiers seem to connect.

    What a beautifully coloured ballon. I'm always struck by how noiseless they are in the sky. (I grew up close to an airfield)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it balloon festival time? I forget when that is.

    Cool, I miss that, we don't really get balloons here. Bristol is great for that, isn't it? I have never gone up in one, but want to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Went in a balloon once - for my 30th birthday. REALLY weird. There comes a point when the thing just stops, and you are hanging there in mid air 1000 feet up, stationary, thinking 'What is keeping this thing up?!'

    And then there was the bit when we almost landed on the M4... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I've been so long away from here... No, Chandira, the balloon festival isn't yet; but there are plenty of flights at other times when the weather's right. A couple of years ago during the fieasta a flotilla of balloons was becalmed over my house, and hung there until they ran out of fuel, at which point they came thumping down into gardens and parks all over the place.

    I'd like to try it, Jo. Gliding was quite nice, a rushing of wind and nothing else. Complete silence must be interesting.

    ReplyDelete