Monday 7 July 2008

fallacious

So that's another picture finished. This one is for a nature feature by Geraldine Taylor in the next edition of the Bristol Review of Books. She talks about nature's jesters, among which is the stinkhorn. I added the Cerne Abbas giant because I like the Cerne Abbas giant, and because it seemed to fit the picture. Apparently it is likely that he was the creation of an 18th century squire, intended to annoy the church. So it may qualify as a jest. But he's mainly here because the stinkhorn looks like a penis, and the Cerne Abbas giant has got one too.

Glad we got that out of the way. Penises. They're not big, and they're not clever.

I quite like what I did with the ferns in this picture, though.

Now here's a link to Riftgirl's blog. She's triffic, and has made some really good films too. She's on a roll. Go with it.

7 comments:

  1. The giant's club looks poised to wallop that Johnny-come-lately

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Alan and Anji. And yes, Caroline, it was only after I'd drawn it that I noticed that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...phallus impudicens, indeed....

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first moved out to 'The C'ntry' one of these things suddenly appeared in a vegetable bed one day(a Stinkhorn that is, not a Chalk Giant!). It REALLY freaked me out...they're just so, erm, visceral and black magical and alive and that (the damn things grow really fast too...).

    It was like voodoo amidst my courgettes.

    Nice pic though.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, Jo, for some reason, "It was like voodoo amidst my courgettes" is about the funniest thing I've read in a while. I don't know why that cracked me up so much, but it did. In the best kind of way. :-) I dunno, voodoo and courgettes aren't something I normally put together in my head.

    Me, I love penises.. I think they're beautiful. Can I say that on a blog and not risk some weird stalker or something? Not sure. But I do.
    I think guys should be proud of them. Society is too anti-penis. And anti-vagina. And anti-nudity and anti-pleasure generally. So I loved this one.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was a headline in a West Country newspaper a few years ago about a drug dealer; it said "Ecstasy in his underpants".
    I think that guys generally are rather proud of them, Chandira. This sort of thing came up (oo-er) in one of my counselling sessions, when I was talking about my Issues and the counsellor rather embarrassedly said, "Actually, I'm quite fond of my penis". I was quite surprised; it hadn't occurred to me that intelligent people could be. But I'm learning. I agree. Society is too anti-those things.

    ReplyDelete