Sunday 25 January 2009

space cadet


There I go again, clocking up more motorway miles. Totting up the distance I've driven in the Traveller since I got it, I find that it's roughly the equivalent of going to Proxima Centauri, which is not too bad going, even if Proxima Centauri is about as near to the Earth as it's possible for a star to be. Unless it's the sun, of course.

There are other similarities to interstellar travelling, as well. Like that funny business with relativity, where when you come back from space you find that you've only aged a little bit but everyone else has got much older, or is now long dead. What with the needle on the Trav's Smiths speedometer rarely venturing above the 60 mark, I observe a similar effect when I get back from a trip to the Midlands, except that I've got older too.

What got me thinking about space travel was the stuff I was eating while driving on Friday night. I got some pasties before we set off, from Joe the Baker on the Gloucester Road. They were very nice, and sort of qualified as astronaut food in that they came in a sealed container, even if it was made of pastry. Of course, you can't suck up the contents through a straw, but hey. If I were an astronaut I think I'd like to have a stock of cornish pasties on board, for those moments when you're being attacked by the Mekon and you fancy a bit of comfort food..

Much more astronauty, I can't help feeling, and what got me thinking about this stuff, was the packets of crisps I bought at Hopwood Park service station. They were doing a special deal, two packets for a pound, and there were some interesting flavour options. (I like to push the culinary boat out now and then - I once bought a Full English Breakfast pizza at Tesco's. It had bangers on it, and bacon and egg, and beans, and it was just about as delicious as you can imagine.) So I had a packet of Fish and Chip flavoured crisps, and a packet of Cajun Squirrel flavour.

The fish and chip flavoured ones reminded me of Great Yarmouth, when I found myself there one rainy Easter. I was wandering around the industrial zone, past the abandoned Birds Eye factory, looking for the Nelson Monument. The tide was out, and there was that rich, fetid smell of damp and decay in the air. I wondered if the person who had mixed the artificial flavourings had ever been to Great Yarmouth when the tide was out. Whatever, it was inspired.

The cajun squirrel tasted like nothing I have ever tasted before. So it probably tasted like cajun squirrel. Not jambalay, crawfish pie or fillet gumbo. Cajun squirrel.



I did feel a bit ill by the end of it. But no-one ever said the life of an astronaut was all plain sailing.

10 comments:

  1. I love that sky. Rob and I often agree that if you painted the sky as it is some evenings, no one believe it could be like that
    When travelling a long way to visit a friend I came up with the idea of distances being elastic. If you wanted to get there they would be short. Long journeys would be for going home or places you didn't want to go to.

    Pasties in space but not in France. I miss them. Homemade ones aren't the same. We don't get very exotic flavoured crisps here either... though I'm not sure I'd want to try squirrel flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next time we go for a walk we need to go and look for some squirrels on Brandon Hill.
    I've some cajun seasoning in my larder...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you said about roads reminds me of something that Flann O'Brien wrote, Anji. I'll do some delving.
    It's funny how the French pride themselves on their culinary standards (the french folk I used to work with refused to believe in the existence of good english food) and yet they only have one flavour of crisps. And I'm sure I've never seen a Pot Noodle in France. Mind you, for every good english pasty there are dozens of nasty ones masquerading as pasties. And you never know what's in them until you bite.

    Good plan, Liz. I also want to experiment with marinading in coca cola, to make squirrel ceviche. They are quite gamey, apparently, and I suspect that they might go better with Coke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous shapes in the sky!

    You are very brave with crisps... there are some risks I'm just not going to take!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh shucks it was nothing, Caroline. And the virtuous side-effect was that as soon as I got home I put some chickpeas on to soak, determined to eat nothing more wild than salad and hummous for a week.

    ...a determination that at least started well...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can attest to that gaminess of which you speak...also a bit chewy as well...

    It's been far too long since I dropped by here and admired your gorgeous photography!

    Below, in catching up I found things I wish I'd caught when they were current if only to say I'm glad you are OK or that I'd have expected better there.

    Thank you for each lovely frame you've shared here...you have an amazing eye!

    alan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Alan. nice to hear from you again too. So you've eaten squirrel? -did you catch your own, or was it a restaurant special? I cleaned a rabbit once, and had very much lost interest in eating it by the end of the gralloching...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up fishing and later hunting...rabbits are easy enough to clean and very good eating, but squirrels are a lot of work for no more meat than is on them very hard to clean as well!

    alan

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's IT!!! I'm googling a pasty recipe right now!!

    I'm pasty-deprived over here, I guess I'll have to make my own, as Ginsters haven't yet made it to the States.. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and yeah, it has been known that Americans eat squirrel, probably only in the deep deep south, and on very drunken camping trips, but it's not unheard of.. Nor is possum or raccoon. Ugh. Never tried it, but I have tried buffalo. That's like steak, except nicer. I can see why people ate them.

    ReplyDelete