Monday 13 July 2009

getting on

let go! don't let go!

Katie spent the week in Exmouth, at a school camp. In obedience to the school's request, she left her mobile phone at home. So of course I was wondering how she was getting on, and fretting ever so slightly; this was the first time she's been out of touch for a sustained time.

Down at the school on Friday afternoon, I picked my way through the rows of Range Rovers gridlocking the school entrance as other parents arrived too, to pick up the sprogs... chatting with a mum about how I wished we'd smuggled her mobile into her rucksack. Another mum piped in, "I sent mine off with his mobile, and he didn't ring me once!"

So things could be worse.

And then the coaches arrived and Katie appeared, with a rucksack as big as she is, and we said our cautious hellos. It was OK, she hadn't gone completely feral.

So we walked home together.




4 comments:

  1. Awwww :-) I hope she had fun! Sure she did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister used to collect her "sprogs" from school on foot, occasionally asked to collect others only to find that they had never had to walk anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before it was fashionable to be green my children were labelled as 'poor' because we always walked to school and back (we were poor too, but we saw more insects and birds than anyone else and had pine cones thrown at us by squirrels – a lot more fun than sitting in a car).

    The mum who broke the rules is an excellent illustration of why parents shouldn’t interfere.

    I bet Katie had a wonderful time

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to go in by tandem, until she became confident enough to walk on her own. That was quite fun too.

    She had an OK time, apparently. Which hopefully translates into 'wonderful' if you take the understatement out.

    ReplyDelete