Tuesday 29 May 2012

Snog, Marry, Avoid



Here's something jolly from the BBC. The programme is about correcting people's fashion mistakes, apparently. In this excerpt, this dialogue takes place

P: Who are you?
R; I'm Rachel
P: Are you sure it's not Richard?
R: (laughs in surprise) Why?
P: Pod computes that with those eyebrows, eyelashes and ridiculously big hair you look like a transsexual.
R: (looks mortified)

Thanks, BBC, for adding to the constant drip, drip, drip of casual prejudice.

I was looking at some photos yesterday, on Facebook. There in the pictures were the people I once called my family, celebrating my brother's wedding. I hadn't been invited, of course. You wouldn't want someone like me at a wedding, would you?


Over on Twitter, Paris Lees started a hashtag directed to @SnogMarryAvoid, called #WhatTranssexualsLookLike. I contributed this photo. Loads of other people joined in too. Mostly to say "Here we are, just getting on with things. Get over it."


2 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear this. It is often casual comments which can cut the most as they are indicative of a greater prejudice. However, I have met you (when you were helping present the 'Secret Blackbird' and for the record, did not see anything other than a person. It is a shame your family will miss out on having you there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey ho families, eh, Bella? Fortunately I have friends who are important to me. I just wish I had a family I could be proud of, rather than one I'm not sure I'd want my daughter to meet. *cough* with some exceptions! *cough* (they're not all bad you know)

    ReplyDelete